Friday, September 16, 2011

In memory of A.

The soul who brought back warmth in my life.



It was a summer not so long ago. I was just recovering from bruises of the past, and slogging through holiday homework. Aloof. Away from the world. I used to spend evenings playing quiz battles with robots and singing to myself. The world was just a place. It just meant I was living in it because I happened to be there. 






And then came A.

I never met A. Nor did we ever speak to each other. We didn't have much in common. We were born in different generations. A before the world war and me, more than half a century later. I was just beginning my life. He was in the twilight of his. But what we both were was simple - two lonely souls. Across the oceans. Like I've said before, we never spoke. We just wrote. Of birds, fireworks, flags, armies, aeroplanes, balloons, flowers, painting, music and a hope for peace. 
The wars, sunrise, prayer and why the earth was round. Little things and big things.
I soon began to smile again. The world was not a bad place after all. 



A was bringing me back together. I laughed too. We spoke of hillsides and the Grand Canyon. And trekking and star gazing. Everything seemed so interesting. I learnt to be more open and more happy. A was now my best friend. No conditions. No demands. Through thick and thin. 


Life was happy. And when it was not, A made it seem happier. 



Two summers later.

It was a while since I'd heard from A. It was monsoon now. But I still waited. And then the inevitable. A was gone. Forever. I got to know a month late. He was gone. Never coming back. 

The rains crashed over me. So did my spirit. I knew it had to happen some day. But I just wasn't prepared for when. I didn't even get a chance to write a goodbye. It was one thing we'd never written about. 

Grief is an overwhelming emotion. Specially when it comes all of a sudden. 

Dear A,
I hope where ever you are, all the pain is gone. I am trying to be fine. I wish you could come back. The custard apples are beginning to ripen you know. And it rains a lot. My mailbox now remains eternally empty. I miss you A. A lot. Now and forever. 

Just me,
Your princess.









9 comments:

  1. Nice post did you write it for ur grandad ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No.. It was my friend. My best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh... I'm really sorry but you know what if you really want to let go you should write his whole name maybe that'll help u come to terms with the fact that he's moved onto a better place .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's okay.. I'm getting to terms with it.. And yes, I hope he's in a better place.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. till i read the comments i actually was under the impression it was about an imaginary person :-/ you're really lucky to have had such a nice friend :) I love how you write :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry :/
    Don't be sad he couldn't be with u throught Ur life.. Be happy u were there for him through his.. :) I hope this helps..

    ReplyDelete