Saturday, March 17, 2012

A new balcony

We're moving. I kept repeating that over and over in my head. I was lying down on the black compound wall of the terrace staring at the birds. This was my spot. Right beside the water tank, overlooking my balcony. I was thinking of the innumerable times it had been my escape. A place i could run away to leaving the world behind. Tears, bliss, emptiness and laughter. It has seen it all. Where else could i have a piece of the night sky all for myself. It's gonna be hard leaving. It's just a house. And I am not going to choke up over this. I told myself firmly. But for the tiny emotional wreck I can be, those traitor tears came without warning. And before I knew it i was struggling to mop off a waterfall. It turned out to be just as impossible as it sounded. So I gave up and let them be. I definitely needed a moment.

What people say is true. We all resist change. I know I do. Atleast most of the times. But the funny thing about change is, its inevitable nearly all the time. And I suppose the best thing we can do is just go with the flow however hard it may be to let go of some things. I've said my good-byes now. To the radium stars on the ceiling of my old room, to the hideous chandelier that I don't want to see again, the stairs, and specially my old balcony. And to the memories; you guys are coming with me forever. :)

If life on earth is about getting adapted to the environment. I'm getting there. I'm on the floor of the new balcony, I have a different piece of the sky above me and the new stars are trying to be nice. This will be my home from tomorrow. I'm starting to resist a little lesser so i think I'll be fine soon. Though significantly tinier, I'm starting to love this corner. The railing is not too high, just perfect for prince charming to sneak in when rapunzel lets her hair down. Who knows. Maybe. Just maybe, this is where the fairytale comes true.

4 comments:

  1. Aww :) Mahathi you're my real life Rapunzel :) This is the first blog i have truly loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Amul didi! :) That means a lot. Truly. A lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO well put!
    And I love the last four lines, Rapunzel.. :)
    So writing is one more of the things that's added to the list of what you're amazing at.. :D

    ReplyDelete